Labels

Thursday, April 24, 2014

After Easter

On the Saturday before Easter Sunday, as I was just heading out to grocery shop, Mary pointed out to me that there was a huge egg hunt going on that morning in the community, she was just saying.  There has been so much going on, and I had completely forgotten to plan a hunt for her, or to even think about taking her to one.  So I went shopping, bought the food, came home, had the older girls fill the eggs and hide them, and gave out last minute invitations to Mary's friends. ("Did you have a hunt yet?" "No?" "Want to come over and have one?" "Yes?" "Don't come for another hour, we're hiding eggs.")  Six kids showed up and they ran all over the place, looking in every nook and cranny they could find.  After everything was found, they ate their eggs, and drew pictures in chalk, all over our driveway. Mary was very happy.  I couldn't have done it without my girls.  Even during the hunt they were helping the little ones- holding their hands, and sometimes their baskets, telling them when they were hot or cold, and sometimes pointing straight at the eggs.  One of our little friends (in the blue cookie monster t-shirt) was a little unsteady on his little legs, but that didn't stop him from running full speed down our driveway.  He had a will of his own, and he didn't want me to touch his basket, or to keep him from running straight off the edge of some steps.  I had to catch him a couple of times, but he was adorable, and I loved that he came. 
 The following day, we went to church and talked about Jesus.  We talked about how what transpired in the Garden of Gethsemane, and on the cross, affords each of us hope- hope for second chances, for redemption; and about how what transpired in the tomb ensures each of us a physical resurrection.  Resurrection, Redemption-He paid an excruciating, unfathomable price to offer us these gifts.  I don't know what it was like for Him, I can't know. One thing I do know, is that He doesn't want me to whip myself over my mistakes, He's already taken those stripes for me.  He wants me to sincerely repent and move on.  He wants me to heal, to be happy; and He wants me to be good- as good as I can be, as much as I can be- like Him.  He wants me to look forward to the day when I rise after death, and am reunited with my loved ones, including Him, especially Him.

Here's a video of the final moments of Jesus Christ's life, 
and some scenes after His resurrection.
                                 

So after all the candy is eaten, the banners and balloons taken down, the plastic eggs put away, what then?  How do we go on after Easter?  How will we go on?  Will it be to adorn our heads with the same old crowns of thorns that we're used to wearing, telling ourselves, in our minds, that we are "no good," "without hope," and "can never change," labeling our foreheads with thorny words like unworthy, undeserving, unloved?  If only we would take them off and let them go.  We don't need to wear or bear them. Christ's suffering brought Him complete understanding of each of us- He has overwhelming compassion for each of us, in all that we've been through, and all that we're going through.  He can and will bear our burdens-
 if we let Him.  

How will we go on?  Will it be to forgive others?  Will it be to forgive ourselves? Can we give each other, especially those closest to us, the benefit of the doubt?  Can we pray and sing, and dance and laugh, and shaka, a whole lot more?  Can we turn the other cheek?  Can we be good like Jesus?   I can answer for myself, "I can try."  I know I'll stumble at times, over the pavement, scrape up my knees, and cry like a baby; but I know He'll be there to pick me up- sometimes even catching me before I hit the concrete, drying my eyes, patiently offering to carry my basket, if I'll just give it to Him; and on really bad days, carrying me- if I'll let Him; never forsaking me, holding my hand, pointing out hidden treasures, redirecting me from pitfalls, and helping me all along the way- every single day.  After Easter, and all my life through, I'll give Him my all, because He has, and always does, give me His- 
and that's an awful lot.  
I love Him and I know He lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment