Labels

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Beach candy

 One of the beaches the girls and I visited this past weekend has tons of beach glass.  It was our first time there and so we had a lot of fun walking over the shore and exploring what it was made of.  Every shore has its own personality- sand texture, color, composition, plus all the things that garnish it like shells, seeds, plants, driftwood and glass.

I love nature's processes of breaking things down, smoothing rough, jagged edges and producing a totally different beauty than existed before- clear sharp glass is polished into frosted beach glass, shells and coral are ground into sand, wood weathers into bleached driftwood, and lava and limestone are carved by the relentless surf.  Nature is in a continuous state of transformation- shaping, rending, healing, decaying and rejuvenating. I used to love to run down to the beach after a storm to see what work it had done.  I would be sad about some things- damage done to a tree or the loss of so much sand, but thrilled to find the shallow stream bed newly refashioned into a deep pool, and  huge logs washed downstream for me to float on.  After time, those changes would be softened too, things would heal, fill up, float away and change again.

After I picked my spot on the sand the girls ran back and forth showing me one find after another.  I love seeing the joy of discovery brighten their faces.  I love that they still want to show me what they've found.  I love what they've found.  I'm so grateful for this wondrous place we live in- for the ever changing garnish on the sand, for the tide in and the tide out,
for rough places made smooth.

 Here are some of the treasures we collected:
Our favorite beach glass colors and one polished stone.
 Siwa made a flower.  There are so many different shades of amber glass.
Mary's bits of shells.
My favorite treasures on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment