Labels

Monday, February 24, 2014

Treasure hunting by Siwa

One of my favorite things to do on the beach is to look for treasure. Treasure is different for everyone, for me it almost everything washed up on the shore. Anything that is unusual to me is picked up. Some treasures lose their value over time and get thrown back and some I've saved since I was very small. The shore is never the same twice. There is always something new waiting for me at the beach. When our family goes for walks on the beach I always lag behind picking up shells or poking around in the tide-pools.
Elena and Mary looking for shells and glass at low tide.
a. Hawaiian Snakehead Cowrie (Cypraea caputophidii), b. and c. are two purplish crab shells, d. a sea urchin test, and e. part of a larger sea urchin test. A sea urchin test is the exoskeleton.
Mom and the little girls looking in the tide-pools.
Some nuts, a bulb and a pebble found on the beach. a, c and d are tropical almonds (Terminalia catappa), locally called false kamani nuts; b. a nut from the true kamani tree (Calophyllum inophyllum); e. and f. are candlenuts (Aleurites moluccana) also called Kukui nuts; h. a bulb from the Queen Emma Lily (Crinum augustum); and g. a pebble.
 The larger shell that the small ones are sitting on is about two inches long.
This one was occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment