Labels

Friday, May 23, 2014

Eternal vigilance

All week long I have been doing battle against the weeds and slugs and snails.  It feels good to stand back and survey my work.  Little by little, the wildness and chaos that was my yard is coming into order, and its a pleasure to look at it.  I feel satisfaction and peace.  There's still so much to do- like the west side of the yard.  I wasn't paying attention and the slugs, especially, have multiplied to the point that I need to bring in reinforcements.  We'll need to go on slug hunts every night, and scatter bait, and clean up those wet, shaded areas where they hide.

It's the same with the weeds- one plant left unchecked can yield hundreds to thousands of seeds.  Constant vigilance is required in this life, because negative things will always be creeping in when we're not looking, and seemingly innocent things (what harm can one slug do?) have a way of multiplying exponentially.  Prevention is better than cure, and vigilance and diligence do win the battle.  My yard is proof of that.


No comments:

Post a Comment