Labels

Friday, June 6, 2014

Under the guava tree


Twice now, in the last few weeks, I’ve been working in the yard, focused on pruning and weeding, and have stopped suddenly, looking up and around me.  The first time I looked up, it was nearing evening, but still broad daylight.  There was a single pink cloud in the center of a sky of white ones.  It looked like cotton candy floating peacefully, far above me.  I stared up at it for a moment, wondering at its pink uniqueness.  Then I turned back to my work with a smile on my face.

On another day, I looked around me and a soft smooth breeze was coming around the corner of the house.  I was standing under the guava tree.  I noticed how the branches swayed, like an instrument being played upon by the wind, making a rustling and a rushing sound.  Playful patches of sunlight dappled the ground.  The wind washed over me, died down, and was gone.   It left me feeling grateful . . . peaceful.

There are so many messages in nature.  I sometimes think of it as God’s vast message board.  I check it on a regular basis, and find messages posted there in clear, bold letters- like “I’m here,” “You are loved,” “I know you and all that you are going through,” and “You are not alone.”  Even in times of storm, the messages are “You are stronger than you know,” “You will heal and rise above all this,” “Trust Me,” and “Patience . . . growth and beauty will come again.”  Nature has been a renewing, wondrous place for me; and through it, God has lifted, moved, healed, taught and soothed.  I know it’s one of His great gifts to us, and I thank Him for it, everyday, with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment