Labels

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Siwa Sightings

I'm the resident biologist in this family and my name is Siwa. Nature Sightings is where I post my pictures of bugs, birds, fish, plants, landscapes, or anything I see outside that I find interesting, beautiful or funny.

A Hawaiian monk seal that came to sleep on the reef. He rolled over into a tide pool giving him the half light half dark look. Hawaiian monk seal are critically endangered and found no where else in the world except in the Hawaiian islands.
Left-handed Hermit Crab.  I found him under a rock in the shallows. He was very obliging and came out to pose for some pictures.
A snapping shrimp.  These shrimps can be found under rocks in tide pools. You can distinctly hear them making a sharp clicking noise with their large claws, whether you are under water or above it.
I have no idea what kind of crab this is. I was lifting rocks when I found him. I love the way the spots on his claws look luminescent.
Warning: Serious illness, death, or depression may occur.
A grainy planthopper (Kallitaxila granulata). Planthoppers are pests that suck sap from plants. I can't help but like them anyway because of how beautiful they are. This particular species is my favorite.



No comments:

Post a Comment