Labels

Monday, August 19, 2013

Tiny shells by Siwa

One of my hobbies is collecting shells on the beach. My favorite size to collect  is between the size of a coarse grain of sand and a popcorn kernel. I find that shells this size have more intricate patterns, brighter colors and once collected take up much less space to store. For a long time I didn't know that shells that small existed, when I did figure it out it was on accident. I had taken up a handful of sand and was looking through it. It was full of tiny specks of olivine, small pebbles, bits of coral and tiny pink and white shells. After that I began to look only for tiny shells. I soon realized that the tide lines were covered in these shells. I've tried to identify a few but I'm more of a botanist than a conchologist. I've put the shells on dimes or on a pencil for size comparison.

A shell rainbow.


Barley grain trivia (Trivirostra hordacea) are a species of allied cowrie. They reach a length of 6 mm.

These are a few of my pink shells. I don't know the names of most of them but I like them best because of their beautiful patterns.


Julia exquisita, these attain a maximum length of about 7 mm.

Knobby snail (Modulus tectum)

No comments:

Post a Comment