Labels

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Haku leis


My good friend Tiare came over the other day to show us how to make haku leis.  These are worn on special occasions and for cultural dances all over the pacific.  In Samoa we call them pales.  I had this rising happy feeling when she was teaching us- like I was learning something valuable that would provide us a lot of opportunities to show our love.  I was thinking about all the hakus we could make for friends and family at their weddings, graduations, etc. Giving a haku is a way to express good wishes, and celebrate; and they are so beautiful they just make me smile to look at them.  There are so many ways to make one, and with so many flower/greens/seed/berry combinations to choose from, the creative possibilities are endless; 
and that makes me happy, too.  

Thanks Tiare for being an awesome teacher, the girls and I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment