Labels

Friday, September 20, 2013

North Shore excursion- Haleiwa Town

The girls and I went for a drive to the Waimea Farmer's Market.  We made it there around 12:30 pm and read the sign saying that it was open from 3-7pm.  Bummer.  So we drove on to Haleiwa.  Haleiwa town is an old historic surf town.  It hosts the annual Haleiwa Arts Festival that I blogged on earlier. The main street is lined with surf shops, galleries and restaurants- their doors open wide to receive the hundreds of tourists and locals that walk the town each day.  We ate at Kua 'Aina Sandwich, which I hear now has locations in Tokyo and London.  Pretty good for a little sandwich place that started about 38 years ago in a small surf town. I had the avocado burger, which I really like. You can see it come across the screen (probably the fourth image) on the link.  The link is to their Tokyo location but you'll get the idea of the kind of food they serve.  Next we browsed some shops that offered handicrafts, clothing and home decor.  We also checked out two galleries- Tabora and Clark Little.  I've included the links to their galleries and restaurant so you can see some of what we saw (forgot to bring the camera).

I love the feel of this friendly little town. Its a mix of hippie, surfer and artist.  I like that I can find polynesian handicrafts in one shop and something that probably came from Thailand, Bali or Nepal in another. Finally we ended at Longs to buy a pack of milk rolls, because Mary said she was hungry again.  We drove home along the North Shore with the windows down and the music on.  I guess we'll do Waimea another day.
We found this really cool tree at the Haleiwa park on the day of the arts festival.
One of my favorite trees on the drive along the North Shore.


I've included these pics from the arts festival because they're a sampling of some things you can expect to see in the shops in town:

No comments:

Post a Comment